Making Sound with Wind
Trombone: A Player's Guide - United States Army Field Band
This is a great video to show to students to demonstrate many different aspects of trombone playing. Each section is listed below:
2:30 - History of the Trombone
8:15 - Types/Sizes of Trombones
19:45 - Caring for the Trombone - Assembly
20:45 - Slide Maintenance
24:30 - Breathing and Buzzing Basics
34:00 - Warm Up
39:50 - Articulation
45:30 - Multiple Articulation
50:00 - Proper Way to Grip the Slide
50:30 - Timing (Slide Technique)
54:00 - Intonation and Listening to Music
Trombone Warm Up Video with Denson Paul Pollard
In this video, Mr. Pollard discusses his warm up routine and demonstrates each aspect of the routine. His warm up routine includes breathing, stretching, buzzing, long tones, pedal tones, arpeggios, scales, and other fundamentals. Most likely, a routine like this would be used by more advanced, experienced players, yet an abbreviated warm up similar to Mr. Pollard's could be used by any level of trombone player. Also, this warm up routine could be used by any brass instrument with only minor changes needed to accommodate the differences in each instrument.
- Tell students to "flap" their lips more.
- Tell students to keep the corners firm but loosen the center of the lips.
- Keep firm mouthpiece pressure on the upper lip. This will allow the lower lip to vibrate more freely.
- Have students think about using faster "wind" as opposed to "air".
- Pretend the lips are fighting against the mouthpiece (Do not pull the mouthpiece into the lips).
- Focus on hitting targets - Example: Low C is the a close target, G is the wall, C is an outside bench.
- Change tongue positions when going from low to high. Low tongue position is "Oh", middle tongue position is "Ah", middle-high tongue position is "Ee", and high tongue position is "Ich".
Trombone presented by Philharmonia Orchestra (London)
This is a very good introductory video to trombone and trombone playing. Byron Fulcher does a nice job presenting different aspects of the trombone including trombone history and various uses in the orchestra.
Bass Trombone presented by the Philharmonia Orchestra
This is a very good introductory video to bass trombone. Christian Jones' presentation of the bass trombone is superb. He talks about embouchure, articulation, harmonic series, slide positions, and mutes.
If you have any comments or suggestions to improve this page, click here and scroll down to leave a comment. Thanks!